Oshio College provides an opportunity for students to resolve disputes of a serious nature and grades appeals in a fair and equitable manner.
The policy applies to all students who are currently enrolled or were enrolled 30 days prior to the submitting there concern to the Senior Educational Administrator.
Only grades received on mid-term or final assessments may be appealed. Grades received for assignments or weekly quizzes may not be appealed.
Procedure for Student Disputes:
- When a concern arises, the student should address the concern with the staff member most directly involved. If the student is not satisfied with the outcome at this level, the student should put his/her concern in writing and deliver it to the Senior Educational Administrator.
- The Senior Educational Administrator will arrange to meet with the student to discuss the concern and desired resolution within 5 school days of receiving the student’s written concern, or as soon as practicable.
- Following the meeting with the student, the Senior Educational Administrator will conduct whatever enquiries and/or investigations are necessary and appropriate to determine whether the student’s concerns are substantiated in whole or in part. Those inquiries may involve further discussion(s) with the student either individually or with appropriate (institution’s) personnel.
- The necessary enquiries and / or investigations shall be completed no later than 10 school days following the receipt of the student’s written concerns. The Senior Educational Administrator will do one of the following within 10 days of receiving the student’s written concerns:
- Determine that the student’s concerns are not substantiated; or
- Determine that the student’s concerns are substantiated in whole or in part;
- Determine that the student’s concerns are frivolous and vexatious.
The student and the institution’s personnel involved shall receive a written summary of the above determination. A copy of all documentation relating to every student’s complaint should be signed by all parties. A copy shall be given to the student, a copy will be placed in the school’s Student Conduct File, and the original will be placed in the student file.
- If it has been determined that the Student’s concerns are substantiated in whole or in part the Senior Educational Administrator shall include a proposed resolution of the substantiated concern(s).
- If the student is not satisfied with the determination of the Senior Educational Administrator, the student must advise the Senior Educational Administrator within 48 hours of being informed of the determination. The Senior Educational Administrator will immediately refer the matter to the Owner of the Institution. The Owner of the institution will review the matter and meet with the student within 5 school days.
- The Owner of the institution shall either confirm or vary the determination of the Senior Educational Administrator. At this point the School’s Dispute Resolution Process will be considered exhausted.
- If the issue is of a serious nature the Owner of the School may, in his/her sole discretion and cost, engage the services of a third party mediator to assist in the resolution of the dispute.
Procedure for Grade Appeal:
- If a student is dissatisfied with the grade received for a mid-term or final course assessment and can provide evidence that a higher grade is warranted he/she should discuss with his/her instructor. The instructor will reconsider the grade and, if warranted, assign a different grade.
- If the student is not satisfied with the outcome of his/her appeal to the instructor, he/she should submit a written appeal to the Senior Educational Administrator.
- The Senior Educational Administrator will obtain a copy of the mid-term or final assessment from the instructor and will have the assessment re-marked by another instructor.
- If the assessment achieves a higher grade on re-mark, the higher grade will be assigned to the student. If the assessment achieves a lower grade on re-mark, the original grade will be retained.
- If a grade appeal is reviewed by the Senior Educational Administrator, the grade assigned following the re-mark and review will be final and cannot be appealed further.